Friday, November 16, 2007

Some nice mates....

Well for me at least.

I play blitz on gameknot.com frequently. Its a great way to stay on top of your game and learn to think quick. The competition is vicious on the weekends and mostly in the evenings. Of course me having two jobs this is when I play. I enjoy playing these people but its interesting because in the beginning of the night I am fine but by the end I'm usually as drunk as a Cedar Waxwing during berry season. I have two snapshots of some mates I've done and would like to share them.

1. Crazy Mate

This mate was crazy because I was drunk as all hell and only had one thought on my mind. 'take away escape squares'. It worked out so well that I ended up checkmating the guy. To his surprise and mine. (The king on f5 was checked by the rook on g5 which was protected by the knight on e4. The bishop on f6 could not take because of the pin by the queen on f7. With the rook check I sac'd my knight and then mated with Qh7#(mate).) I love playin chess shitfaced.

2. Drunken Mate

There isn't much to this mate except that it was a fight till the end! Or more like a stumble to the toilet. This kid was schooling me. By looking at the picture you can see that I am down a piece and down an exchange. One less rook and one less minor piece. I was running hard from this kid and decided to go all out and launch a queenside attack. My first plan was to make the long pawn chain and trap his pieces, then trap his king in the corner and mate him. His mistake was leaving the pawn chain intact. I was amazed that I mated him and was proud that 'I never gave up'. Even if it was alcohol fueled and more of a Red Dawn, Wolverines!!!!, mentality.

Ahhhhhh.... Chess and Liquor. Is there anything they can't do?

Tomorrow, if I remember, I will post my online training schedule for chess.

No comments: