Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Computer Rules, Why?

.
Now that I've been able to work my Computer Chess Engines pretty effectively, I've been watching many games by the computers and have started to notice some 'rules' that the computer uses. These are probably well known but since I'm a beginner I'm going to write down these rules and continue to add on to it as I watch more and more games.

RULES

1. Despite gambits and suprises in the opening, the computer constantly opts to challenge the center at all times. Even if with another gambit. "A solid center is FIRST priority." A good example of attacking the center instead of destroying a postion is this Senechaud Gambit from the Dutch opening. 1.d4 e6 2.Bf4 f5 3.g4!? fxg4 4.h3 c5!
.
As a patzer I would take the h pawn here and then protect my King. I'd be happy with the destruction of the Kingside and confident I could fend off any attacks. Instead the computer here likes c5! Immediately attacking the center. Of course the enemy protects d4 and then the queen comes out to c6. Black takes a spot in the center and then builds on it. Who says two enemy cities can't share the same wall?

2. "Trade on your terms, not your opponents". When the opponents offer up a trade of pieces, even if it is beneficial to you, make sure it is on your terms. If they move a rook to instigate the trade, if you want to trade, trade but remember you don't have to trade on that square. Move it up to where you capture back with a pawn bringing it toward the center.
.

Not exactly the position I wanted to show. But in the above position the Knight at e6 has captured another Knight and is expecting the trade at e6. Here instead of Qxe6, Qe7+ is played! Moving the King to a more cramped position. after Kg6 then Qxe6. Trading pieces on his terms. There is a tactic here, I forgot the name. But my point is that the computer never compromises. Everything is done on their terms, there is no Synergy. Only a selfish desire to win at all costs.


3. Whenever possible, protect an attacked piece with another piece that will attack an enemy piece once the trade has occured. "Protect your pieces with aggressive/attacking pieces."
.

I created the above postition and it sucks. No white King and the Black bishop is en prise since it is Whites turn to move. Just as an example though, White wishes to protect the Bishop at c5 from capture by the Bishop on f8. He has three options. c4, Rc1, or Ne4. At a quick look of the position and in a quick game I would probably play c4 protecting the bishop or Rook to c1. But as with the 3rd rule the computer would play e4 because if the bishops were traded off then the N at e4 would fork the king and queen! This diagram is messed up and simple but it shows how to protect a piece and to look for tactics even with expected trades.

I will continue to post more rules as I see them.

No comments: