Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bird's Opening - Batavo Polish Attack

.

.

1.f4 Nf6 2.Nf3 g6 3.b4?!

I first came across this opening when I was flipping through Schiller's Unorthodox Chess Openings book. If I recall correctly, Eric said to just take a pawn and smile. I'll have to see though because this opening isn't as bad as it looks. It was brought to my attention recently in The Gambit Gang's group forum on chess.com by a member named Birdbrain. What interested me initially is the fact that its a Bird and Orangatang opening all mixed up. Of course you'll worry about your pawns being all scattered about but it does have some advantages. In a hypermodern way it controls the center from the outside, a Bishop will soon be deployed to b2, and a timely push by the f4 pawn to f5 can create some very interesting positions. This was the reason this line was brought up by Birdbrain. I had initially posted about a crazy/unsound opening that I was using in Blitz games: 1.f4 g6 2.f5?? . In 1 min games this opening gets wild and although I scored well I wanted to see how the computer would defend against it. Of course the computer stuck to sound opening principle and out of 20 some games only 1 was won by white. In response to the Batavo-Polish Attack, Birdbrain suggested f4 Nf6 Nf3 g6 d4 Bg7 c4 0-0 Nc3 d6 f5! . This appears to be a very solid line. I wanted to see what the computer would do against the BPA.

Of course the engines would not move the Knight to d5. They would first develope the Bishop to g7. The white Knight would then come to c3. Seems pretty even to me. See for yourself in the PGNs.

Fritz 11 6.5 Fruit 2.3.1 3.5

White Wins 5 Draws 1 Black Wins 4

PGN Viewer and Download

No comments: