Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A not so Memorial Day Weekend Pt.1

---------------------------
WHAT? Twenty Dollars??
I'm not on the reduced list?
*sigh* Two tickets then.
---------------------------

I'm gonna have to break up my Memorial Day weekend into a couple of parts. A bunch of things happened and I don't have the time or the resources for each part. Mainly the second part being the chess part and my games are still at the house being analyzed. I can put them up when I get home tonight.

The first part of my weekend started with a visit from Lunee on Friday and an adventure to the old stand by club, Scuzz. I mean, Buzz. Buzz has been the party kid party for almost two decades and its current location is the 4th that I know of. The best thing about Buzz is that you can always count on dark corners, people doing shenanigans everywhere, crazy dancing, drunken debauchery, and everyone getting along (somewhat). Well, the 'new' buzz is none of that. Its located in a part of the city that is designed for middle class to upper middle class people to go party. The whole area is designed for big clubs with expensive drinks, the decor is nice and everyone is looking for someone to hook up with, but not really. As we roll up to the club there are many many nicely dressed patrons waiting outside in the various lines for the many clubs. My first reaction was, 'I'm not dressed for this club.' and I did vocalize that point. Luckily for me, Buzz is located in an alley with a back door entrance. I don't know if they did this purposely so itd seem 'cool'. Like, 'This is the back entrance where all the real clubbin' goes down.' Hahahaha.. that's hilarious but I remember Whitey doing that pre-1964 all over America and it wasn't because it was 'cool'. (Maybe a bad reference but I watched The Great Debaters last night and it was really good) Of course, in order to find this back entrance you had to walk along all the very very very long lines for the other clubs. Of course I pre-gamed and really didn't give a f*ck but all I could imagine was that one young Kandy Kid trying to get in and all the 'pretty' people mocking them and judging them from a far. Buzz used to be the place where that out of place person could go to find refuge. Where being different was welcome and expressing yourself was obligatory. All backgrounds, all demographics welcome. NOT ANYMORE. I'll get more into that in a minute. SO, we find the entrance and they search and card us. We get inside and the girl checks for our names to get on the 'reduced' list. And , ta daaa, they're not. I brought $40 with me under the assumption that it was 10$ to get in. I told Dan I'd pay for him since he hasn't been out in a while. Well, both of us are not on the reduced list and there goes all my money. Mike wanted to go but everyone was inside. I throw down the money and we venture into the mysterious raghall.

Well I will say this, the club is nice. The lights were almost gone and the dancefloor was 'kinda' packed. Lighting was great and nobody was fighting. The only problem was everyone was dressed too nice and nobody was really going off. Baggy pants were replaced with 200$ jeans and pacifiers for expensive lipstick. The vibe was definitely not there and the look in the eyes of the few party kids that were there expressed an 'emptiness'. Not only had the vibe escaped the whole dancefloor, the whole club, the whole area... it seemed to escape the most sacred of spots, the party kid. The scene that made this party and progressed a whole culture. The people that fought Fox 5 and rallied on Captiol Hill. People that have given all of themselves are now getting nothing in return. Buzz has turned into the one thing that every Party Kid was afraid of. A Sell Out. An old giant clawing its way through the club industry just trying to grasp onto anything it can. Its f*ckin' sad is what it is.

I say take whatever bit of dignity and integrity you have left and find that dirty spot where everyone can get down again. Where the spirit runs free and the altered mind allowed to wander. A place where those of us can go to get away from spots like FUR. A place where even if we're getting away from it all, we're still going home.

I'll will post more on the events of the evening. Some of my most favorite people came out and that was nice.

No comments: