Thursday, December 13, 2007

Chess ratings and websites.



The pic above is from my recent training session at the Chess Tactics Server. This tactics training site is by far my most favorite. Everyday I try to do at least 100 and the above session is a chart showing my progress over the last 200 problems. I just finished 120. This site has really changed the way I play chess and has improved my blitz ability greatly. It has also made chess more fun for me. I am buying myself an ICC account soon so I can play some 5 min blitz and bullet games. I can't wait! Gameknot has good blitz but the only drawback is that it is 10min for each side and the moves aren't recorded. ICC records all moves and you can choose 2,5,10+ min games. 10 mins is good but I feel like it still gives someone too much time to think. I will post more on ICC as soon as I get my account opened up. Its 60$ so its gonna take me a couple of weeks to save up. Now to my chess training schedule!

1. Tactics training: 20 mins everyday: http://chess.emrald.net/

"Until you are at least a high Class A player: Your first name is 'Tactics', your middle name is 'Tactics', and your last name is 'Tactics'."

I don't know who did that quote but its helped me out a lot. Until you get into real 'positional' types of situations you should just learn tactics. Since I play in many correspondence games though its good to do some positional training.

2. Knight movement training: 5-10 mins everyday : download the game "Crazy Chess"

This game is all over the Internet and it really helps you develop a 'second awareness' of knight movement. It helps you come up with crazy paths for your knights and helps determine the path of the opponents knights. The game is a bit cheezy but very effective.

3. Endgame training: 20-30 mins everyday : Silman's Complete Endgame Course

This book is the shiznuckle. Its only 16 bux right now on Amazon and well worth the time. The reason I study endgames is because it knocks out two birds with one stone. IMO endgame study really helps out with endgame tactics/knowledge and positional awareness. Studying endgames has really helped me with positions and the 'subtleties' of chess. One small pawn move or unorthodox knight move can drastically change the positions of both players. I highly recommend studying endgames. Other books are Van Perlo's Endgame Tactics and Complete studies of Gehnrick Kasparayan.

4. Openings Training: 20-30 min everyday : Opening books and Pawn Structure chess

I'm constantly getting trapped in the opening. After studying a few books, not so much. Pawn structure chess is a great book and teaches you to feel out positions and their tactics. If one pawn moves in an opening you have the knowledge to switch your defenses... much to the surprise of your opponent. I'm still going through this book. Its very in depth. With my correspondence games I have a bunch of opening books which I go through when I play. This is legal and lets you learn the openings well. I DO NOT use the databases on the site. You don't really learn that way. Researching and reading puts the ideas into your head. Its kinda like using the spellcheck in a document. You know the spelling but can't really do it right. I'm currently obsessed with 'hypermodern' openings so my boots are on the Reti, the Tango, the Nimzovich defense, the Alekhine, the English, and Hypermodern openings.

I don't do much middlegame training but I feel I train enough. My brain hurts some nights from studying but its ok. It'll all be worth it in the end. If you have an effective training schedule post it up. I'd love to hear from you.

No comments: