Thursday, June 19, 2008

Alekhine Brooklyn Variation






1. e4 Nf6 2. e5 Ng8!



The Brooklyn Variation of the Alekhine Defense. I ran across this variation on the Unorthodox Chess Openings yahoogroups. They constantly talk about new and interesting openings. This one is 'somewhat' interesting. Its more for the shock value than anything else. I viewed a couple of games they posted and wanted to view more. Following Clyde Nakamura's lead I decided to run a chess engine mini-tournament. There were 12 games in all and they were very interesting. Not suprising though was the fact that black only won one of the games. There were many draws and many wins. While watching some of these games though I realized that for lower rated players (like me) could easily equalize and stun the opponents. Most likely in a 2 or 1 min game. I have come across these positions before so I will try this opening soon. The resulting over extended center kinda reminds me of positions I've reached with the Nimzovitch defense. I will post more about that after I practice this Brooklyn Variation. The games can be found here: http://www.lockism.com/engine/ The file name is Brooklyn_Variation and the results of the games were as so:

Oh.. and this was my first Chess Engine Tournament. I think I could have tweaked it more but am pleased with the results. My analysis can only get better from here on out.

No comments: